A few years back a friend of mine and I decided to work up a portfolio showcasing the Titanic. The difference in our version would be to throw in the ghostly images of some unlucky passengers. Unfortunately, our projected time frame was a bit too tight, and the project was never finished. Most of the work never got past the thumbnail stage. Only one had reached completion before the end. I'll start with that one, showing progression from initial roughs to finished piece.
Below is a sheet of quick thumbnails trying to get the layout to a satisfactory stage before going on to a tighter version.
Once the initial layout was established, I went on to a tighter thumbnail to flesh out my thoughts.
Finally, I proceeded to the finished drawing.